Monday, November 25, 2013

Distraction and Procrastination, My Biggest Enemies

I understand that we all have the same amount of time in one day and it is just the matter of priorities, but it is still hard to fight laziness and procrastination. 

I think in the modern society today, one of the reasons why procrastination exist is that many of us live a rewarding style of life. We reward ourselves by ignoring the idea of diligence and taking actions quickly right after a hedonistic thought across our minds. For example, I have a six-page paper due tomorrow afternoon, but deep down there is a voice keeps saying "I don't want to do it, I don't want to do it and I won't do it until the last minute..." This thought gives me a painful image of writing this paper, so I resist the reasoning part of my brain, and choose to sit and wait for my mind to offer me a better deal. When my brain tells me, "Hey, let's get on Youtube and check out the best Vines of this month!" I immediately get delighted by this suggestion, and before I know it, my body already acted to make this idea come true. Here I am, my hand is on the mouse, and my eyes are on the computer screen, watching Youtube videos. 

Yeah, even though it is hard but I am trying to fight procrastination...it is going to be another long night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment