Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving


I wish everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I think all holidays are mythological and I just realized that the most common themes of holidays are either to thank for what we receive, or about rejoice for survival.

Without a turkey, my Thanksgiving meal was not that traditional. During the weekend, the American side of my family decided to come down to Laurel and celebrate Thanksgiving with some stir fry. Even though there was no turkey, we had mash potatoes, salad, and a pumpkin pie. I am sure we are not the only family who has "different" food. It is impossible all families cook or celebrate a holiday in the exact same way, but the spirit and the meaning of this holiday don't change.  

Bart Simpson once said his prayer, "Dear God, we paid for all this stuff ourselves, so thanks for nothing." This kind of humor is accepted by people because unfortunately that's a popular attitude when it comes to giving thanks. However, it doesn't mean we are not grateful. Many of us are thankful for what we have, but still often stutter when we have to express it in a formal way.




No comments:

Post a Comment